As mentioned on my last post, I tried out a few freelancing websites to hopefully get me some gigs.
And I know most of the younger generation now is thinking of quitting their job and going into freelancing via these websites. Fret not, I've done 20% of the work. I registered myself and checked through the jobs and even submitted some proposals
The shockest (cause I'm shocker that shock) thing I found out about some of these jobs...
SCAMMY. By scammy here I mean, it smells fishy, i'm like 99% it's a scam and if someone wants to prove me wrong to try it out, be my guest. But I am not going to do it.
So let's start with the websites that I checked out and drop my "proposals"
Because EVERYONE even your father knows fiverrr. It's like the first freelancer city built.
As you can see, it's more of the FREELANCER post their skill sets and what they can do. And the EMPLOYER finds what they need and engage the freelancer to do what is needed.
I had no idea what sort of skill sets I can monetise at this point so I didn't do anything on Fiverr, but for those who know what your niche is, I think this is a good place to start. Pay is a bit low at first, but once you've got that good ratings and reviews you'll be able to increase your own worth.
The second city built and built very differently from the first city...
So for upwork it's slightly different. The EMPLOYER now post projects that they want to get done, and freelancers BID for the project by using something call connect. So once you register, you're given 20 connects and you can bid for a project. Every project requires different connects and sometimes if you're not pick for the job to employer will return the connects to you so you gotta read carefully before you bid.
Tried Upwork, as of date I submitted like 5 proposals. Almost got a job but hey, chin up. Try harder.
And the ones that I've submitted I haven't heard back from them yet, not sure if it's like that or it's just me.
Oh! 1 thing to note, it's VERY COMPETITIVE in here. Employers get to pick 10-30 freelancers may be with better rates, more experienced, shorter time to finish the job and most importantly ratings and reviews.
It is now as famous and Upwork and works quite similarly too with the bidding system and employers posting work instead of freelancers monetising skills.
So the job here is simpler than upwork and pay much much more.
Obviously I applied, I applied the same amount of projects I did for Upwork and they replied. In fact I didn't just get one reply, I got 3 (from 3 different jobs)
One word : Ecstatic !
Then it starts getting weird...
Job 1: Translation from Cantonese to English.
Spoke a bit, tried to understand the job, then he sent me this :
So the project is to make money together using my upwork experience and your upwork account.
Once your account get paid from upwork client, then you will get 30% of it and I will get the rest 70% (If you want, I will provide you fixed salary - $300/month). I am sure I can make $1500/week after 2 months. Then, you will get paid $300 every week.
I have worked with a Jamaican guy last year and have made $60k in a year. I am sure Upwork is the best freelancing site to make money. https://prnt.sc/q6w2yr, https://prnt.sc/q6w36z
But unfortunately, his account has been blocked because of VPN problem. (Once we don’t use any VPN, there will be no such problem)
Your duty in this project
- Open upwork tab on your web browser and open teamviewer app on your computer
- Withdraw payment from upwork to your paypal or bank and send me 80% of it. and you will take the rest 20%
- Should have a Video call and ID verification with Upwork after getting a first job
My duty in this project
- Access to your computer and bid upwork jobs, messaging with clients, Technical interviews.
- Do all development and send good result to clients, get paid to your account.
I always work 14 hrs a day so I can handle two full-time projects at a time. This is the guarantee that we can make much money in certain time.
Sounds too good to be true? Then it probably is
Also, I was conversing with . a friend that was saying that nowadays there a lot of account farming. Better to be safe than sorry. I've decided to just ignore the guy. Also funnily enough I applied the gig at FREELANCER, and he wants to work with an UPWORK acc.
Job 2: Personal Assistant Urgent
Greetings ,I`m looking for personal assistants who have basic knowledge of MS Office . You will need to rewrite data from PDF to Doc files . There mostly would be medical topics , the amount of words is not more than 3000 per page , and not less than 1000 per page . PAY: USD 750 - USD 1150
Sounds simple enough for such a high pay? Of course I submitted my proposal ! And almost immediately she replied ask me to drop an email to her if I'm interested in the job.
Red flag 1 : Why not go through the portal?
But I told myself may be Freelancer website takes a cut from employer too when they match them with a freelancer.
So I dropped an email and then she replied with this...
So there are a total of 4 projects. And to begin we need to pay a "deposit" for each project. The highest is USD 100 to start.
Red Flag 2: When do I ever need to pay an employer to do a job? EVER.
So I bailed...
Job 3: Content Writing
I need you to rewrite scanned copy to word file. Pay USD 250 - USD 750.
Hey another typing job and for that kinda pay? Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.
Applied and she dropped me a link to explain how the work is https://yadi.sk/i/uidQsQBTOi0Kjw
Sounds all good and dandy EXCEPT, once again she asked me to send her an email like what Job 2 asked and she sent THE SAME THING as what Job 2 sent.
So I bailed... AGAIN
Oh! I just checked on their account on Freelancer and both their accounts are deactivated/closed.
I still haven't gotten a project yet and I'm going to try out other websites and try applying till I get one.
And for those that's trying the freelancing space out: If it's too good to be true, it probably is.
It's an insanely competitive world out there. I honestly didn't think it'd be this hard cause keep in mind you're just not going against other more qualified freelancers but also small businesses, like translating work there are tons of companies bidding for the translating work.
One thing I did learn tho, nothing comes easy and if you wanna make it you gotta work it.